Teflon! How safe is it?

Teflon! How safe is it?

How many times have you been told to dump your teflon ?

05/07/2017 Leave a comment


Teflon. Is it really that bad?

I wish I had a pound for every time I hear someone tell me that they have got rid of all their pans because they are non stick.
Do you need to bin all your Teflon coated cookware?
The simple answer is NO it isn’t. Not unless you can’t cook without burning everything
Teflon, which is the coating Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is absolutely fine under normal cooking conditions and ok, because most foods cook well under 530 degrees Fahrenheit.
For example, water boils at 212 degrees, eggs fry at 350 degrees and deep fat frying occurs at 410 degrees.
Customers tell me they have been told or read on the internet to get rid of all their Teflon cookware. My first question is, “Why” can’t you cook without burning everything?”
It’s the old scaremongering thing,
Yes of course it can kill your bird, and shortly after breathing in the toxic fumes he will have breathing difficulties.
We all think of a frying pan when we mention non stick. But of course we sometimes forget the obvious.
Bread Makers, George Foreman Grills are just a couple of things to mention but of course, what about self cleaning ovens, bread makers, etc
we come out of the kitchen, there are still traces of Teflon, I have heard people say that they have sprayed their parrot and then dried him with the hairdryer, they are of course Teflon coated to avoid anything sticking to the fan, heat mats, and would you believe your container that comes with your Chinese takeaway also has a thin coating of Teflon.
Ok. So look around your house. Your umbrella, your hiking and camping equipment, carpet and furniture are coated in Teflon too, work wear, and would you believe some food bags like the ones you get popcorn in are coated, as are sauce bottles, yes your good old HP Sauce has a coating of Teflon to stop the sauce sticking to the bottle.
Your hair straighteners also use Teflon technology so as not to damage your hair.
Now for the one that nobody thinks about.
We have greasy skin, someone who has greasier skin than others may use a cosmetic that contains Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) which prevents the product from fading and melting on the skin.
So back to the main question “Is Teflon really that bad”?

When was the last time you let your bird snuggle into your face, or even eat something off the carpet or couch.
Of course as always, it’s your decision, if you want to get rid of your pans then feel free to do so.